I am a total bunch gal and this 3 Steps Scrambled ‘egg’ Tofu is simply to DIE for! If you are looking for a vegan, gluten-free egg substitute option, this 3 steps recipe is totally for you. It’s the perfect addition to your breakfast. My loaded avocado toast is built from: gluten-free & vegan raw olive crackers, black bean spicy hummus, avocado, and the scrambled tofu!!
If you can roast veggies, you can make this dish!
You can flavour your tofu scramble based on the spices you currently have in your drawer. You can add nice rich Indian spices if you want a spicy robust flavour. Or you can go a more fluffy authentic French version where your tofu is slightly runny and you are relying on Himalayan black salt (which tastes exactly like eggs) and freshly ground pepper.
Here are some of the health benefits from eating tofu:
- Contains several anti-inflammatory, antioxidant phyto-chemicals
- Good source of ‘complete’ plant protein – meaning that it has a well balanced amino acid profile – in addition to fibre, potassium, magnesium, iron, copper and manganese.
To learn more about the benefits of eating tofu, click on the highlighted link.
3 Steps Scrambled ‘egg’ TofuCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Vegan, Gluten-freeDifficulty: Easy
500 mg firm tofu
2 tsps turmeric
2 tsps smoked paprika
2 tsps oregano
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
black bean hummus
bread or gluten-free crackers
- Frying Tofu
- The first step is to dry the tofu by wrapping it in a towel and apply pressure by adding a heavy pot on top.
- In a non-stick pan over medium heat add a bit of avocado oil and add the dried tofu. Use a spatula to break up the tofu into small pieces.
- You can now add all your spices and mix well. Turn your heat to high and cook your scrambled tofu for about 10 mins until all pieces are firm. Ready to serve!
- Tofu just like an egg is pretty bland. If you like tofu to be infused with lots of flavour, you can marinate your tofu overnight. In the morning, simply take it out of the fridge, dry it and follow the same cooking instructions as set out above.
How about pairing the 3 Steps Scrambled ‘egg’ Tofu recipe with a healthy mug of homemade matcha tea. Click the highlighted link for my matcha recipe.
What nicer thing can you do for somebody than make them breakfast?Anthony Bourdain