As a vegan and glu-TARD (gluten-free) I can’t begin to tell you how much nutritional yeast improves the taste of a Caesar salad. If you are looking for a GFVG Caesar salad recipe – look no further…
The trick to the salad is, of course, the dressing, so the recipe below gives you a solid reliable dressing you can count on. I make this sauce in big batches and store it in the fridge for up to a week. I also use it on roasted veggies and sweet potatoes – it super DELICIOUS!
Let’s talk ‘toppings’ which take your GFVG Caesar salad to the next level. Green olives are so good and they give off the perfect salty flavour. Freshly ground black pepper – I grind the peppercorns fresh for each dish I make and I find it improves the taste by 1 million percent, compared to using ready ground black pepper. Nutritional yeast is the BOMB! When you think about the components of a Caesar salad, you often think parmesan. Well, nutritional yeast is the perfect parmesan substitute. Sprinkle it at the end all over your salad, GENEROUSLY. I also use nutritional yeast on my pastas and popcorn. Yup, you read that right – if you haven’t tried nutritional yeast on popcorn, well, do it ! Lastly, roasted chickpeas work beautifully and adds the perfect gluten-free crunch.
GFVG Caesar Salad dressingDifficulty: Easy
This dressing is super versatile and under 5 mins to make! Let’s dive in.
2 tsps vegan mayo
1 tsp sweet mustard
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp tamari sauce
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp of olive oil
- Start with adding the mayo into tiny bowl.
- Add the mustard and olive oil. Mix everything together.
- Now add all your liquids and combine well.
- Place in the fridge until you need to use it.
- There are two types of nutritional yeast you can buy: unfortified which has a beige colour (this does not contain any added vitamins or minerals), or fortified which has a yellow colour (contains synthetic vitamins added during the manufacturing process to boost nutrient content). Both fortified and unfortified nutritional yeast provide iron. However, the fortified yeast provides 20 percent of the recommended daily value, while unfortified yeast is 5 percent.
- Read my post about nutritional yeast!
Recently I have been obsessed with making my no bake brownies, and they will make an excellent dessert after your GFVG Caesar salad.
Patience is the master key to every situation. one must have sympathy for everything, surrender to everything, but at the same time remain patient and forbearing.Franz Kafka