Is it just me or is this social quarantine bringing out the weirdest cravings?! My obsessions so far have been: broccoli soup (click highlight for a super creamy broccoli recipe), pancakes (recipe coming up), dates with almond butter and now these homemade hash browns! I woke up today craving deep fried potatoes and I created an EASY GFVG recipe that will knock your socks off. The texture is so crunchy … This recipe makes for approximately 12 medium sized hash browns – fitting 3 in a non-stick pan at once.
Below I have listed the ingredients you will need. I think most of you will have all of the items in your pantries, but if you don’t have a spices or cooking oils – you can substitute. I am going for a mediterranean themed spices. You can also try Indian or asian spices. As far as oils, you should pick one that works well with high heat, that way you will get a nice golden colour and the crunchy texture at the end. These hash browns would be awesome to make with sweet potatoes to give a nice caramelised flavour.
Better than Hash brownsCourse: Sides, SnacksCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
The main purpose of this recipe is to give you a nice crunchy snack you can eat or use as a side to your dish. Caution: they are so addictive!
500g russet potatoes or sweet potatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp vegan mayo
2 tbsps casava flour
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
sesame seed oil for frying
sunflower seed oil for frying
- Peel, clean and grate your potatoes.
- Use a paper towel to collect all the water that accumulated from the grating. Then add your grated potatoes to a bowl.
- Add all your ingredients (except for the sunflower and sesame oils) to the bowl and mix well with the grated potatoes.
- Start heating your non stick pan to medium/high heat. The portion of sunflower seed oil to sesame seed oil is 2:1, and the quantity should cover the pan thoroughly. But, you are not creating a deep frying situation so you don’t need the oil to cover the hash browns.
- Once the pan is hot, start to take 2 tbsps of the potato batter and add to your pan. Let the batter turn golden before turning it over. Flatten the potato batter and wait until the back side is golden brown. This should take about 4 mins per side. Place the cooked hash browns on towel paper so that oil can absorb.
- Repeat Step 5 until all the potato batter has been used.
- Check below for a quick and delicious dipping sauce.
If you are looking for a quick epic dipping sauce to go with your better than hash browns, you will need: 1 tbsp vegan mayo, 2 tsp sweet Dijon mustard, 2 drops of hot sauce. How to : mix all ingredients really well. For a more runny sauce add a bit of water.
I hope I have inspired you to try these better than hash browns !
Freedom is the oxygen of the soul.Moshe Dayan