Hey ! Hey! It’s Christmas week and I can’t believe how quickly this year has gone by, considering all the hurdles thrown our way. I finally got around to typing up my GFVG pecan crust eggplant recipe. With the holiday season upon us, this recipe might help out the vegans looking for a crowd pleasing recipe that the whole family will enjoy. Honestly, even if you are not a vegan you will love this recipe.
Smaller gatherings and unconventional celebrations call for kitchen creativity—and you can embrace it by making whatever you want. Skip the roast and go all in on the sides? Sure, why not. Thought you’d never ask. This recipe is tailored to unconventional times!
You will fall in love with this pecan crust eggplant, that’s crispy, super easy to make and it’s topped with a creamy delicious spicy almond butter sauce. Let me show you how it’s done!
GFVG Pecan Crust EggplantCourse: MainCuisine: Gluten-free, VeganDifficulty: Easy
This GFVG eggplant recipe will knock your socks off!
- Pecan crust
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed pepper
1 eggplant (cut into 1/2″ slices)
1 cup of GF flour
1 cup of nut mylk (I used almond milk)
1/4 vegan butter (melted)
Oil for frying
- Spicy sauce (optional)
2 tbsps almond butter
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1-2 tsp tamari sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
- Toppings (optional)
white and black sesame seeds
finely chopped cilantro
- Pecan Crust
- Put your pecans in a blender, mixer or food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. You are not looking for a flour consistency or a paste.
- Place the pecans in a large bowl, add 1/2 cup GF flour, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- In a second bowl add the remaining GF flour.
- In a third bowl add your nut mylk and the melted vegan butter. Stir well.
- Dip the eggplant slices in the flour and coat both sides.
- Then dip in nut mylk and coat both sides.
- Lastly, dip in the pecan mixture and pat until both sides are covered well.
- Place eggplant on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 220C (428F) – no need to flip them.
- Remove from the oven and set the eggplant slices aside.
- In a non-stick pan add olive oil and fry the eggplant slices for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Drizzle the spicy sauce on top and serve on a bed of white bean hummus (click the highlighted link to get the recipe for the hummus).
- Spicy sauce
- Add the almond butter to a small bowl and start adding all the liquids.
- Mix well – you might need to add a bit of water to make the sauce more liquidy.
- You can take this recipe to the next level by deep frying the eggplant as soon as it comes out of the oven. This will make them super crunchy…
Looking for a dessert companion to match the GFVG pecan crust eggplant recipe then check out my vegan brownie cupcakes. Click the highlighted link for full ingredients list and how to instructions.
I wish you all a healthy, happy and relaxing holiday season and I hope you enjoy making this recipe as much as I have.
And suddenly, you know… It’s time to start something new and trust the magic of new beginnings. Here’s to 2021!Meister Eckhart