Let’s face it – who wants to spend their time in the kitchen cooking meals when it’s so hot outside. This summer salad is just what you need, plus it features all of summer’s bounty. You can’t go wrong with this GFVG salad.
If you are BBQ’ing outside this is the perfect side to any vegan burger, cauliflower wings or simply grilled corn on a cob covered in vegan butter, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
All the ingredients are super versatile. The point of this salad is to use seasonal ripe beautiful. Heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, crunchy red peppers – these are all part of the flavours of summer.
I came up with this salad, when my organic seasonal local vegetable and fruit delivery came. Almost all our fruits and vegetables from local small shops. I also order seasonal produce as much as possible to ensure the best quality and value.
Here are some more ideas to experiment with…
You can also add your favourite seeds and nuts for extra nutrition. Hemp hearts are amazing on pretty much all salads and it is an excellent source of omega 3 and 6. If you want an extra kick you can add 1/2 tsp of chilli oil to your dressing. Another idea is to add watermelon or cantelope cubes and a bit of mint – that is also super delicious. As you can see there are many different variations you can try.
Summer SaladCourse: LunchDifficulty: Easy
This is such a crunchy refreshing salad, using lots of summer’s bounty.
- For the salad
1 red pepper (washed and finely sliced)
1 cucumber (washed – use a slicer cut the cucumber)
1 corn on the cob (cooked – cut with a knife off the cob)
2 heirloom tomatoes (washed and finely sliced)
2 heads of romaine salad (washed and sliced)
(Optional) Cilantro or parlsey
- For the dressing
2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
2 tbsps organic olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp dyjon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the washed and cut vegetables in a big bowl.
- In another bowl combine all your dressing ingredients starting with the dijon mustard and stir slowly all other liquid ingredients. Make sure to taste it and modify as you see fit.
- Pour the dressing all over the salad, then add salt and pepper and mix.
- (Optional) Sprinkle cilantro or parsley and mix everything really well.
- You can double the dressing recipe and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- You can also aadd your favourite nuts to this salad.
Do not ever stay small to feel safe. Own your frickin power, own your light, and let the world hear your bad-ass thunder.Sophie Dear