What is it about Mexican food? There is something about the summer season and tacos that brings so much joy. Making taco shells is such a fun activity and you can experiment with a wide range of vegan and gluten-free ingredients. When it comes to homemade taco shells, I have a SUPER easy and DELICIOUS recipe for you. The recipe calls for one main ingredient, which you probably already have in your pantry. Your kids will love making these tacos with you !
Taco shellsCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Very easy
1 cup of rice flour (cassava flour is also an excellent option)
1 cup of water
pinch of salt
oil to grease your hands
- In a sauce pan bring your water to boil. Add your dry ingredients and mix really well until the mixture looks crumbly.
- Turn the heat off and remove the sauce pan. Cover the crumbly mixture and let it sit for about 10 mins.
- Add oil to your hands and start to roll the dough into a long roll on parchment paper. Then divide your dough into 6 equal parts.
- Roll the 6 individual pieces of dough into 6 round balls.
- Place them back on the parchment paper and add another parchment paper on top.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball into 1/2′ thickness.
- Add olive oil in a non-stick pan and begin heating the pan at medium heat.
- Add your taco shells to the pre-heated non-stick pan and fry both sides. It should take a couple of minutes per side.
- Double the recipe – It’s that GOOD !
Taco toppings that will win anyone over:
>oven roasted spiced yellow peppers with smokes paprika, and drizzled with chipotle sauce.
>corn cherry tomato salad with lots of fresh cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. So easy to make and so delicious. You can substitute the cherry tomatoes with strawberries – the sweetness from the strawberry is super YUMMY.
>avocado slices, duh!
I hope you enjoy making these taco shells as much as I have! If you make this recipe I would love to see photos and hear your comments! For dessert try my no bake brownies – the perfect combination !
There is always a part of us that keeps us going no matter what you are going through.Rachel Magori